Yuri & his favorite mouse toy in his favorite hideout, a box.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

I hate my cat because he tried to kill me

So 2 months ago Yuri bit me - like BIT me - on my left index finger.

I must preface this by explaining what I was doing when he bit me.  I had just started working from home and had set my computer up at our dining table, which is near a large window.  I noticed that Yuri loved looking out that window because it overlooks our neighbors who have 2 cats that hang out in their front yard all day.  So in an effort to aid our kitty's viewing pleasure, I decided to build a "window seat" for him.  I put window seat in quotes because it was really just a stack of boxes on top of an unstable TV tray table.

The word "unstable" is key there because cats generally don't like being in any sort of unstable situation - especially when it comes to their footing.  When I picked up Yuri to place him atop my (what I thought was a) tower of window viewing prowess, the boxes slipped against each other and the TV tray table rocked back and forth under Yuri's feet and he flipped out.  Because I don't have cat-like reflexes I was still holding him while he try to lurch out of my arms and when I wouldn't let go fast enough he bit my finger.  I finally let him go.  He promptly ran down the stairs to our bedroom and under our bed (his usual safe room).

It was all over so fast, I don't remember it hurting much, but soon three little drops of blood formed on various parts of my finger, one on either side of my big second knuckle and a third up closer to my first knuckle.  I washed the wounds and cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and stuck some bandaids on.

The swelling didn't start until about 3 to 4 hours later when I went to my parents' house.  When my dad came home, I told him what happened and he proceeded to scare the crap out of me.  According to him, the two worst non-poisonous bites you can get in the world are from a fellow human or from a cat.  And if you get bit by a person or a cat, the worst possible place you could get bit on your body is at a joint.  Like a knuckle.

This is what it looked like that night.

Later that night, the bottom portion of my finger was literally the same width as a standard hot dog - if not a bona fide Aidells chicken & apple sausage. It also hurt because my skin was stretched out and I think one of the puncture wounds at hit the nerve on the inside of my knuckle.  My dad had instilled words like rabies, tetanus, bone infection, and amputation into my subconscious.

This also happened to occur the day after my health insurance expired, the 1st of April.  April Fools Day.  What a fool indeed.

The next day I went to go see a friend of my dad's - an internist in LA who didn't charge me a thing - who gave me a tetanus shot, a prescription for some powerful antibiotics, and a proper bandage.

It took about 5 days for the swelling to finally go away - and I was popping antibiotics every 8 hours for 10 days - but I'm totally fine now.  I got to keep the finger.   Thanks, kitty.

1 comment: